Wednesday 4 March 2009

Big Brother Bother

Statistically most people reading this blog will have come across it from looking at a Big Brother 2008 animation. So, big news for you.

Today, one of my videos came up as "The user has disabled embedding by request". That's wrong, I didn't do that. So I checked the video and found I was unable to revert the change and that my video is no longer available to watch in the UK.

Why?

Because after speaking to me on several occasions telling me how appreciative they were, encouraging me to make more videos, reassuring me that I was fine to use screenshots from Big Brother to make the videos, doing an interview with me for the website, showing two of my videos on Big Brother's Little Brother, asking me to appear on BBLB and phoning me up again at the start of CBB6 to see if I was going to do any for that, Channel 4 have filed a copyright claim on one of my videos. A video I made with music I recorded. Yes, it uses faces of the BB contestants, but I was told this was fine otherwise I would have drawn cartoon versions.

I doubt anyone would agree that the use of static images that would fit on a stamp at 300dpi is worth destroying the hard work put into fan art and the loyalty/obsession of this Big Brother fan.

Needless to say if this isn't sorted out there will be no more Big Brother videos and after 9 years I will be handing in my notice as a fan.


Edit:

I contested the copyright claim through Youtube and they reinstated my video. Nothing more has come of it, but it has left me a little wary of producing more BB videos for future series'.

No comments: